Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hancock


While this summer has given us it's share of ups and downs, this week's big event movie HANCOCK, leaves a little left to be desired. I hate to start off an entry sounding so blase, but I had high hopes for this film and it left me feeling disappointed.

Hancock is a Super-hero without a cause. He flies around saving people, but doesn't seem to know why. In fact, his carelessness often ends up causing more harm than good. He drinks and flies, makes mistakes, and is an entirely flawed hero. I was thankful for this premise when I saw the trailers for Hancock, hoping that the break from a typical super-hero formula would bring great things for the summer. Now, don't get me wrong, the idea is still solid. The premise is still entertaining not to mention humorous. But, the execution was almost as flawed as the hero.

For the first two-thirds of the movie, one is treated to a light-hearted journey of a man who happens to have super powers, but also has the problems of humanity. He feels unwanted, cast aside, and demeaned. He turns to alcohol as a defense mechanism, but that only leads to more mistakes and more harm. Those blunders and mistakes are actually quite funny and allow the audience to connect with the hero. Unfortunately, Will Smith's usually spot-on acting is tainted by a little too much indifference. Hancock's spite and cantankerous demeanor are downplayed into a somewhat blunted apathy, leaving the audience with a similar sense on occasion. Many critics have said that this may be the downfall of Will Smith's blockbusting career. I would not go so far. He did not do a horrible job. He made a choice as an actor. However, that choice left the audience unsure how to reconcile their views of his character. Is he really that indifferent? If so, why does he try? If he doesn't care, where does his anger come from?

The third act of the movie heralds the most issues. The movie takes a sudden and hard left turn. A plot twist - a very well planned plot twist, I must say - is introduced that throws the movie into a much more dramatic arena. While this is an attempt to up the ante by the film-maker, it falls a little short because again the audience is left to question where this all fits in with what the movie is. It was a comedy, now it's a drama. Where is it going? Moreover, a new villain is brought in with whom very little has been established. In order to avoid spoilers, I cannot divulge too much. But, suffice it to say, I did not have a strong belief in the motivation, let alone the ability of this villain. I cannot leave this review without pointing out the relative rapidity with which the writer puts down one altercation and picks up another. This leaves the film a little choppy. At times I thought I may hit my head on the screen because the plot hit the brakes so roughly.

Now, let me take a moment to highlight the better aspects of the film. It was not nearly as bad as some other attempts this summer. The action sequences were very exciting and the movie was incredibly funny when it was trying to be so. Hancock's erratic drunk flying is captured very well and has a great deal of humor attached to it. The story is relatively solid. However, it appears that studio execs may have gotten ahold of it and thrust in some unnecessary plot points.

It has been said that Jason Bateman is more or less reprising his role as Michael Bluth from Arrested Development in this film. I can see the resemblance, but he does such a good job and can be so funny that I am willing to give him that. No harm, no foul. Charlize Theron also does an admirable job considering the seemingly small part she plays. The emotional tension between her and Will Smith's characters is palpable each time they are on screen together. Often without words, there is an exchange of emotional information that is exquisitely clear.

In my final analysis, Hancock is worth seeing because it is a fun ride for the summer. However, I don't think it will go down in the annals of history as one of the classic blockbusters of our time. This movie will undoubtedly draw a lot of business, which is good, but it may not last long contending with the upcoming movies over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

We're waiting to see it--and glad too . Know what I thought was cool though? IRON MAN! What a surprise!